Millets are known for their role as a shield against food and nutritional insecurity and are better designated as nutritious cereals. The cultivation of millets is confined to regions where the prospects for cultivation of other crops are ruled out. In order to increase productivity in Jowar, Ragi and Small millets, it is proposed to implement a special project “Initiative for Nutritional Security through Intensive Millets Promotion (INSIMP) under NADP- RKVY sub scheme. The scheme aims to demonstrate the improved production and post harvest technologies in an integrated manner with visible impact to catalyze increased production of millets in the State. Besides increasing production of millets, the scheme through processing and value addition techniques is expected to generate consumer demand for millet based food products and ther by improve the livelihood of farmers, SHG women. Based on these, six sets of millet processing equipments (destoner, dehuller, pulverizer and flour sifter) were given to our KVK. One set of equipment maintained by this KVK and farmers whoever needed these facilities could be benefitted by cost basis. Other four set of equipments given to millet growing areas like, Kalakkambadi, Moola pudur, Mallamoopampatti, Neiyamalai and Thavalapatti villages. In Salem district , millets are cultivated in 224.9 (‘000 ) ha area and the production and productivity 172.2 (000 t) and 2790 (Kg/ha) respectively. The farmers are selling the grains as raw to the traders which they fetch very little amount. Through INSIMP programme value addition of millet awareness campaign was conducted. Under the programme the following activities are being carried out
- Collection of minor millets area, Production and productivity of Salem district were done.
- Various value added products of minor millets were collected.
- Awareness campaign on minor millets was conducted at Neiyamalai.
- Erection of millet processing equipments was done at Neiyamalai and Moolapudur.
- Farmers from Kalakkambadi village attended two days training programme on “post harvest processing of sorghum / millets especially with special focus on processing equipments, entrepreneurship development , value addition and marketing of sorghum / millets” at Directorate of sorghum research(DSR),Hyderabad.